Saturday, January 29, 2011

Best Day Ever, Best Day Ever

Today was such an awesome day, and 4 out of 6 of us agree. Today, after beating down much objection from everyone else, I took the family out cross-country skiing at Sundance. Of course, Dave thinks anything other than downhill is for hippies or baggie-pant-wearers. And Keaton (having tried cross-country himself last week) had convinced the others that it was hard and boring. I had some reservations myself, as it does require some coordination and EFFORT. I envisioned a 20 minute circus of flailing arms and legs, falling, shrieks, tears, and a hasty exit as the reward of our effort and money. However, we were delighted, first off, to find that all of us could ski, passes and rentals included for a mere $65! The gear was in excellent condition and fit well. Wow, what a deal! Next, it was a gorgeous, glorious day. Then, all the kids took to the sport like they'd been doing it all their lives. They could do the flats, the ups and the downhills like old pros! And did they work hard. Everyone was shedding coats, gloves and hats as fast as they could. No one complained when they tumbled; they were enjoying it so much, they just jumped up and continued. We found an open meadow area with several loops, and spent the afternoon skiing and playing. The kids are much braver (=Faster) on the downhills than I am. Dave took some pictures, which I will add when I get them downloaded. They want to join a cross-country kids club! Yeah, loving it.

Miso soup for supper tonight, from the fine Cooking "Fresh" cookbook. The kids kept calling the Tofu "cheese"! Haha, at least they were eating it!

Exercise yesterday: Run 4.5 miles. Bummer part: My friend Stacy told me she ran 13.1 miles on Tuesday and that she's lost 7 lbs. Rats, I've got some work to do.

Exercise today: Cross-country skiing, my new favorite sport!

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful day!! I'm glad it was a positive experience. Matt took our older two skiing and said the weather in the mountains was perfect and gorgeous... I can only imagine how greatly you can appreciate it all while cross country skiing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a wonderful day playing as a family. I'm glad that everyone had a good time for the most part. Did Dave end up changing his mind at the end?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, no, he said that it made his knee hurt, so he watched us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just to be clear, I did ski up to the meadow with everyone else, and was the family photographer! My knee has been hurting bad for months, and Saturday was the turning point in convincing me to actually make an appointment with the orthopedic surgeon. This friday at 10:15 I discover my fate!!!

    ReplyDelete