Thursday, January 20, 2011

A Lovely Day

Today was one of my FAVORITE days EVER! I had told Keaton I would take him up to Sundance for his last skiing day of Winterim, and let him leave a little early. I didn't want to down hill ski, and I've really been wanting to take up cross-country, so after I dropped Keaton off, I went to the Sundance Nordic Skiing Center. I was worried it would be too cold, but the temperature was so nice I just wore my inner jacket and some light ski pants. Since I didn't know how to cross-country, I got a 1 1/2 hour lesson for only an extra $4! Wow! I really learned a lot of techniques during the lesson, and really enjoyed it. After about 45 minutes, we came to a sunny meadow. Although the trail was crisply groomed, a very light snow of 3/8 to 1/2" crystals had fallen over the track and everywhere. It glittered like diamonds everywhere. I finally said, "This is so beautiful", and my instructor said he had been thinking it was unusually beautiful as well. I ended up cross-country skiing for about 2 1/2 hours through some beautiful aspen groves and valley overlooks. Cross-Country skiing is excellent exercise. My instructor said that Cross-country skiers have the more efficient oxygen exchange rate of any group of people. I wish I had had my camara! I was exhausted when I was done, and got home just in time to shower and pick up the kids from school.

I was so pleased that McKay cooperated with his MATH better. I've been trying to teach him to add nines by "sucking" one from the addend to make 10, then adding the remaining addend. He acts like he doesn't understand, then (on 6+9) says, "Oh, I just need to suck four from the 9 and add it to the 6 to make ten, and there's 5 left, so 15. ARRRGHH.

Oh, then I had to go play basketball for 1 hour. I made a basket, though. I hope I sleep well!! tonight.

2 comments:

  1. I've only been cross-country skiing one time, but I loved it. It was good exercise, but it is also just nice to be out in nature and, opposed to down hill skiing, you have a little more time to enjoy yourself. It sounds like a beautiful day. I'm glad you had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that you have a blog now! Hooray! It sounds like you had a great time in the snow. As for the math, I feel his pain. I hate math.

    ReplyDelete