Thursday, January 27, 2011

What I'm Reading

When it comes to books, it seems like things kind of go in cycles with me. I either have nothing interesting to read (in which case I fall back on Jane Austin or Sharon Shinn, my two favorites, or perhads Miss Read), or I have so many things I go back and forth between them. Right now, though, I have only two books I am reading. One is the Chicken Soup for the Soul: My Resolutions that I already told you about. The other is called A Million Miles in a Thousand Years, by Donald Miller, the one who wrote the blog about writing a story, not making resolutions. I really love this book. He talks about how he slowly comes to realize that, although he writes interesting books in which things happen, his life is just a series of boring, disconnected events: go the the store, type, watch fake lives on TV. Finally, his roommate tells him his life is a blank page, just start writing. So, he slowly and deliberately begins to write a story about serving other through various charities he starts/gets involved with. He introduces other people he meets, who have written exciting, meaningful stories with their lives. Its very thought provoking.

It is interesting, too, that Dave just happened to have a meeting with a client, whose company is called In Our Quiet Way, that helps orphans in Kenya. Is it coincidence that these too things (the book and the service opportunity) came at the same time? Maybe it is time we started to write a more meaningful story. Two great books about people writing stories of service are Three Cup of Tea, and Little Princes. Clearly, however, Dave and I cannot go to Afghanistan or Katmandu with our children. It is just to dangerous. But, I'm sure we can find ways to get involved that our children can safely do. It would make them less self-centered, I hope.

On the menu: Chicken and Snow Peas. We had a spinach salad last night. I should have got a video of Makenzie gagging or McKay washing the dressing off his sopressata. haha.

My workout yesterday consisted of: shoveling the snow off the sideway and drive way. You laugh, but it burns a lot of calories, plus counts as weights as well.

Today I did the Timesaver by Cathe again, along with the Pilates section of Brand New Butt plus Pilates by Janis Saffel. I just love her, she is so cheery. Just squeeked that in, and have to run get the kids from school. Let the fun begin.

1 comment:

  1. Shoveling snow is a great workout. And I think that service opportunity in Kenya sounds really neat. You'll have to let us know if you think of a safe way for your family to serve & how we could help participate.

    ReplyDelete