Thursday, April 7, 2011

Good, Better, Best??

We still had 6 ski tickets left, and no takers, so I decided to take the kids skiing one last time to Park City. It sounded like a good plan. I was concerned because the weather didn't look promising, but we went anyway. When we got to Park City, it was snowing pretty hard, but we went anyway. The good thing was, there was close to an inch of new snow. The bad thing was it was ice underneath. The other bad thing was the new snow was extremely sticky, so it was hard to keep up your momentum. Makenzie took off her skis and walk a few feet, and had about 3" of snow stuck to the bottom of her boot. The other bad thing was that the visibility was poor. The other bad thing was that it was really windy up on the top, and surprisingly cold for April 7th. After 3 runs, the 3 younger ones, not to mention mom, had had enough skiing for the day and year. Makenzie couldn't seem to stay on her feet, and fell down again and again. So we left.

McKay got into a big snit because he didn't get the candy he wanted, and poked a hole in the seat of the car with a stick. So, I told them we couldn't go out for lunch and we just ate leftover pizza when we got home. I think some of the kids (!!!!) might be a little spoiled.

My alternate plan for the day was to go to the temple and then to institute. Sounds like it might have been a better plan. Less stressful and certainly less expensive. The institute lesson was the first 1/2 of the Easter lesson, and I hated to miss it. And, I won't have time to go to the temple later this week, or next week either.

But, Keaton said it was fun just to spend the day together as a family, and it was memorable. (I wanted to take some pictures of us being blown around in the blizzard, but my hands were too frozen.) Besides, although we skied downhill 6 times and cross-country twice as a family (I cross-country skied 10 or 11 times total myself), we probably won't do much skiing anymore, because Dave simply can't do it. It really damaged his knees this year and he regrets going. So, maybe it was the best choice after all.

2 comments:

  1. That's too bad the weather was so bad. It sounds like you were able to get a lot of skiing in this year though. I'm glad Keaton had a good outlook. Oh silly kids. I hope your seat is easily fixed. That's nice that the temple is so close to you. It really is nice to be able to go often, we are missing our 5-10 minute drive to the nearest temple. Hopefully you'll get back soon. Dave should get into Yoga or something. His body just keeps falling apart. Too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We went skiing at Canyons on the same day and the snow was exactly as you described it. The conditions were horrible. We still had a great day despite that though because it was my first time skiing with the bigger kids in 4 years!

    I'm sorry about Dave. Amy's suggestion is great about yoga - it really helped my back and I'm sure with modifications for his knee he'd be able to do a lot of things.

    Where do you take your institute class? It sounds nice. :)

    ReplyDelete