Monday, April 4, 2011

Bountiful Baskets

On Saturday, we tried out a new option for produce. It's a co-op called Bountiful Baskets. You pay $15 (I guess that can vary up to $25, but we paid $15 Saturday) and get a basket of produce. You get 6 fruits and 6 vegetables. With the way food prices are going, I thought I'd give it a try. I know we eat a lot of fresh produce, so I got 2 baskets, plus an add on of heirloom tomatoes. Umm, it is a ton of food. We got apples, oranges, bananas, watermelon, strawberries and mangos; lettuce, zucchini, asparagus, tomatoes, bell peppers and green beans. I'm very pleased with what we got, especially at the price. You can also add on tortillas, breads, stuff to make salsa, and so on. We got extra food in ours because Dave helped sort everything out. It is all volunteer, and they try to use smaller and more local farms, so that is what helps keep the costs down. Of course, it's not really local stuff this time of year! If it sounds interesting to you, look at Bountiful Baskets and see if they have a site near you!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for reminding me to get me order in today, I almost forgot. Good luck eating all of that produce, that's a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So both Jackie and Mike's sister have been doing Bountiful Baskets and love it. What a great, and cheaper way to get produce. Your family does eat a lot of produce so this sounds like a wonderful alternative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's too bad they aren't in California yet. They may start, though, they are in about 10 states now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved reading both of these posts, thanks for writing. I've heard of bountiful baskets - I'll need to give them a try.

    I also loved conference. I loved Elder Scott, Elder Lynn G. Robbins, and I always love anything Elder Uchtdorf says. :) I'm impressed that your kids sit and listen... we still have a long way to go with that.

    ReplyDelete