Sunday, May 1, 2011

Women's Conference

Ouch. Instead of going to bed tonight, McKay came downstairs and raided the fridge. He broke a jar of syrup on the floor, and I wasn't too happy about having more mess to clean up. I was very surprised that he ran right away to get a towel and start cleaning it up. I started sweeping, and before you know it I had a big chunk of glass sticking out of the bottom of my foot. McKay ran and got a wet towel, dry towel and bandaid (complete with salve) and fixed me up. Before he got back, there was about a 3" puddle of blood on the floor, though. Then my friend called, and while I was sitting on the counter talking to her, the blood soaked through the bandaid and dripped all over the floor again. It was like I was bleeding to death or something. It's stopped now, finally. haha

Last week was a lot of fun. I took off Thursday and Friday to go to a Women's Conference down at BYU. Wow, I'd never done that before, and wow, a lot of women go. There were so many great topics that it was hard to choose which classes to go to. My favorite was one on how to prepare your children to go on a mission, and to handle the MTC, too. Wow, very discouraging to hear about all the problems and different reasons kids are going home now days. Anxiety, depression, not being able (willing??) to handle hard work, and so on. Well, I can say at least Keaton can cook and talk to adults, even if he can't handle being away from mom. :) At least we know what we need to work on, right?

I told Dave that my least favorite subject right now is Relief Society. Do you think every VT message for the whole year will be on Relief Society? They all seem the same to me. So, several of the classes at BYU were on Relief Society, which I carefully avoided. Then Julie Beck gave her address, and what do you think it was on? Yes, Relief Society! She talked for well over and hour, and it was actually a great talk. She implied that during Christ's famous visit to Mary and Martha, he could well have been setting up an ancient Relief Society! There you have the two roles of Relief Society: Service and Spiritual learning. Fun idea anyway.

I'm happy to say that I seem to have adapted to my new running style and shoes, and my sore calves are feeling great. I ran 6 miles on Saturday, and part of it was pretty fast (and part not). I'm very excited--and this is why I was bleeding to death on the phone with my friend tonight. I recently read this book called "Born to Run" which, among other things, promotes a new way of running with minimal "zero drop" shoes or barefoot. Anyway, the author is coming to a running store in Orem tomorrow to do a running clinic, shoe discussion, and talk about the book. I signed myself and my friend up to go, and we were just discussing the details, such as whether we were too much of running rookies to go run with the author. Anyway, it is going to be so much fun!!! Even if we do miss Family Home Evening!!!

Okay, Heidi, I got a clean eating book, and I was wondering if eating this way might help my kids to settle down. They have been so rowdy lately they are going to drive me to drink. Or something. But, eating clean is so difficult while living in the world. I was discussing this with my friend tonight. She is interested in looking into a very simple, vegan diet, because it was discussed in the book as something many long distance runners eventually assimilate. I just want to cut out the junk and eat nutritiously. But, then someone asks you to come over for lunch, or you go out to dinner with friends, or your kids are ALWAYS getting junk at school, from teachers and friends. It is very difficult to eat a healthy diet in today's America. As far as keeping the kids diet sugar free--well. We have some friends who are kind of pioneerish. There kids have never been to a movie, have no spending money, and they never have sugar at home. So, when they go to their friends homes, they literally empty the candy bowl into their pockets. My friend told me that she has seen the son actually loading donuts from Young Men's activities into his backpack. haha. No wonder my ice cream is always gone. haha. Yes, it is hard to control a diet enough to see if it makes a difference in behavior.

Like I said, I've been running a lot more, even though the weather hasn't been cooperating. I hate the treadmill, but I have even run on it a few times while watching a movie. Then I sit down and finish the movie. :) Remember Serendipity and You've Got Mail? Great movies. So, now I have to look at my race schedule and see what I really want to do. Goldie, guess what? My friend and I have decided to come up and do the TOU 1/2 with you. Yeah, that will be so fun. I decided to not do the Hobblecreek, because I won't have much time to run this summer, and I'd be mad if I got a slower time on it. So, we're going to do the Logan 1/2 and then full later on! :)

I have a bunch of pictures from Spring Break I want to post, but I can't find the cord so I'm still waiting....

3 comments:

  1. Ouch! I hope your foot gets feeling better soon. Are you going to have to take a break from running for a few days?

    I've never been to Women's Conference before either, but it's always surprising to me to hear how many women are going. I'm glad that you were able to have a good experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. McKay is so thoughtful to take care of you (even if he caused the accident in the first place).

    I agree that it's hard to eat well in our society. School alone gives our kids more than enough treats. As a teacher, I wouldn't want my class hyped up on sugar. It would be nice if treats were treats and not an expectation. They lose their specialness when they happen all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo-hoo!!!!! YAY!!!!! I'm so excited that you are doing the TOU 1/2!!!!!! That will be so fantastic to see you there! I will finish so much later than you, but I WILL finish!!!! :) And then you're going to run the full one just a few weeks later? WOW, you're such an inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete