Saturday, February 12, 2011

What goes down must go up

I forgot to mention in my previous blog that I also got a call from Makenzie's teacher that she had a really rough day on Thursday. I guess some girls did some things she didn't like, so she got really mad and said mean things, and even kicked one little girl on the shin. So, her teacher wasn't too happy, and said she often used cruel words, berated others, etc, and so she was struggling socially and so on. It was very disheartening. She kind of unloaded. I guess when you are upset with someone, you just see the negatives. I wrote back and addressed the issues, but also followed with the social aspects, because Makenzie talks as if she has a ton of friends at school. Her teacher responded that she does, because she is so fun, but they are mad at her a lot. Makenzie IS fun and she also can be very kind, especially to those in need. She did apologize, and I'm sure very sincerely. She does feel bad when she is unkind. She cried herself to sleep at 5:00 Thursday night after we talked to her about what her teacher had said. She is a good girl at heart.

Dave and Keaton got in a big fight on Friday night, and he went to sleep on the couch at 8:00 and even slept through a movie while I sat by him. I don't know why my kids are so tired and grumpy lately. I hope they get over it.

Saturday we went skiing at Park City. They are having the best deal. It is called startnow, and it is ski lessons for $25 (normally $215). But what makes it really great is it includes a free all-day ski pass and the ski rentals. AND, you can get the deal even without taking the lesson. You can have up to 4 total. We couldn't get into a lesson today, so we just used one of our days and skied. We were worried about how the little kids would do, but we skied all the runs together, and they did great. They struggled on the steepest black diamonds, but were awesome on the double blue, so it was a good day. It was sunny and about 44˚ at the base. Lunch was $84. I didn't think the meals were too overpriced, but when you have 5 drinks at almost $4 each it adds up fast. We forgot to take a camera or even a phone, so we have no pictures yet again.

Tonight Dave and I went to a Valentine's day dinner dance at the club. It was an elegant and delicious buffet. They had caviar, oysters, Kobe beef, Filet, tons of dessert options, and bananas Foster. We danced one (1) dance. haha. Then we went to the store and ran into tons of friends, caught up on their lives, and I came home to start (!) preparing my sharing time for tomorrow. Which is why I am on the computer at 11:30 pm, so Good-night!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my, I can relate to this post and the last one too. Makenzie is so blessed to have a mother that can see past her poor choices to the wonderful girl that she is. I went through a period with Lauren where I got caught up with her negative choices so much that I just focused on her negative behavior and forgot about all her strengths. I'm embarrassed to admit that I was overly worried that everyone thought her bad behavior was a result of my parenting. I'm sure some people did, but I'm going through the process of trying not to care what others think when I know I'm doing my best. One of the things that really helped me with Lauren was when I had a conversation with you at Hyrum Dam. That was a real turning point for me, thank you. :) Anyway, you're doing a great job and Makenzie is adorable, she's still learning and has her own struggles just like the rest of us, right?!

    Also, your date sounds fun... and yummy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cindy! I didn't realize you had your own blog. Now I can catch up on your posts and keep in touch.

    I think all of our kids have phases where they have to adjust and grow in certain areas. I hope things get better. How sad that she cried herself to sleep. That just shows she was reacting impulsively and didn't really mean what she did.

    ReplyDelete