Wednesday, May 4, 2011

What I'm reading

I've just finished reading a great book, Born To Run.  It is a book about many things, including running form, ultra running (100 mile races), native populations that run as a lifestyle, the tarahumara indians of Mexico, the evolution of running shoes to the point where they are actually causing injury, barefoot running, interesting characters, veganism, proper running form to prevent injury, and having fun running vs viewing it as a chore.  It has definitely helped me be a better and happier runner.  I had the chance to meet the author at a book signing/lecture on Monday night, and really enjoyed that.

I bought some Vibram fivefinger shoes, and I really do not enjoy running in them, but maybe on grass?  and after I have built up the correct muscles for it?

I am also now reading Les Miserables.  In leu, I guess of spending $1350 to take the family to the musical :(.  It is a slow read, no getting around that, but interesting.  Whenever I read, I tend to branch it out, and research the topics I might come across that I am not as familiar with as I'd like to be.  So, I'm looking a bit into the French Revolution, and all the changes in government that followed.  It's a very interesting time in history.  My brother introduced me to the Khan Academy, which is a series of online lectures and games, free, to teach mainly math.  The math is from the very basics to calculus and statistics.  They have 2100 videos in all.  They have small history sections also, including a short series on the French Revolution.  So, I've been watching those.  It really isn't the same period as is covered in Les Miserables, as the French Revolution is 1789 and Les Miserables is 30-40 years later, but interesting anyway.  Question:  after all the blood of the Reign of Terror, when did France really become a stable democracy?  Answers differ, but not until sometime between 1870 and 1958, depending on how you define democracy!  So, how blessed is America to have enjoyed our freedom for as long as we have!

3 comments:

  1. I admire your interest and dedication in running. It's never something I have enjoyed, but is a great form of exercise.

    I've started to read Les Mis before too, but never finished. I love how fiction can bring history to life and spark our interest in it.

    I love the musical. We watched the 25th anniversary special a month or so ago and Kathrin has really gotten into it. She plays the music every day. She'd love to go see it, but we decided she needs to be older due to some of the content.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Les Miserable is Colby's favorite book & I read it a few months ago myself. It is SO long & I wanted to quit many times, but I'm so glad that I didn't. It's a wonderful book and making it to the end is worth it.

    I was REALLY looking forward to going to the play with Colby and I had the day that the tickets went on sale posted on my calendar for months. I got on the internet to order them a few minutes before they started selling, but they were already sold out by the time I was able to purchase them. I was so bummed! I've never seen the play in person, but I love the music. We ended up watching the TV special & I was sort of grateful that we didn't get the tickets because it didn't do justice to the book at all. The book is so moving, I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read Les Miserables a few years ago after our Bishop raved that it was his favorite book. It was a bit wordy, but I loved the theme and the overall positive overcoming the negative. I am reading the Count Of Monte Cristo this week; it is fun to plug in a Classic in between the modern books that I usually read:).

    ReplyDelete