Friday, May 6, 2011

Bravo to the Children

Tonight Makenzie and Carson had a piano recital and graduated from Let's Play Music, a three year program.  The program really digs in and teaches music theory, so they songs that they performed were their own personal compositions.  I'm so proud of them; they did a great job.  McKay also started the program with them, but this year I have had so much trouble getting him to practice and participate, that I finally decided to just focus on getting the other two more self-sufficient on the piano.  At the same time, I wanted McKay to see that I was "taking him out of piano" rather than him "getting away with not doing it".  Then, hopefully, I'll have more credibility next year when I focus on him doing his piano.  The bonus of the kids doing this program is that it has made Keaton, while not excited about playing the piano, at least willing to start taking lessons again and have a better attitude about it.  It is too bad he didn't work at it all these years, because he really has a good ear for piano, and learns it quickly.

We went out to the club to celebrate afterwards, which was good for me, because I did a yard sale this morning, then the dentist for the kids, so I wasn't on the ball for dinner.  Okay, yard sales are two thumbs down!  I only made $80 for all that effort.  Not doing it anymore.  I had a ton of stuff, too, because one of my big goals is to cut down on our belongings.  A great thing about doing a yard sale on Friday is that my kids were in school.  Otherwise, they are crying about what I'm getting rid of, or trying to buy everyone else's stuff, and I come home with more than I left with.  As it was, we still bought 3 stuffed animals, waffle iron, 3 brooms, and a coffee table.

It has been a long day!

3 comments:

  1. Good for Carson and Makenzie. I wish that I would have taken piano lessons. There aren't enough people who do it anymore. Hopefully the other boys will hop on board. I hear ya about yard sales. It seems like a whole lot more work. I like going to them though. I usually don't find anything I want, but sometimes you find great deals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I've missed a lot of posts this week (I've been sick.) Awesome job Carson and Makenzie! And yes, I did a yard sale once and it was one time too many. I read that you bought vibrams. A lot of people in my ward run in those. They love them but said it takes a while to get to the point where you love them. ;) Also, I read Les Miserables in college and I agree, you definitely have to push yourself though it but I was glad I finished. I also read you've looked into some clean eating cookbooks. Which ones did you read? I have a subscription to Clean Eating magazine and I love it. It has a good combination of foods that aren't a big departure from what you're already eating and some fun, different foods to try. Anyway, I hope all is well. Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the yard sale deal...they are more work to pull together than I have ever made from one:). I am impressed that they have the kids compose their own songs; that would be a cool challenge and make you more invested:).

    ReplyDelete